Friday, December 22, 2023

If you be honest and fair - poem by Karen Chamisso


Everything was major
She made the decision
Wrapped in the xray love blazer
To trouble the division
Between the kitchen and the lawn.
The grass whispered under her feet
Slanders older than the jewels she pawned
While God peeped
Like one of the Elders out of a cloud.
Everything was major.
I can’t do it, she said out loud
I can’t
I just can’t
do
do or feel.
In the kitchen she slew
The roast beef made England-red
She slew the puree, she slew the peas
Then she took her head
And slew with the greatest of ease
Every highwire, every antic thought
Burned recipe after recipe.
Later, it was the smell that caught
their attention. Olly olly oxen free.

No comments:

Blues for M. Joachim du Bellay

  “I was born for the muse, and they made me a manager.” I can imagine this complaint issuing from the mouth of some proto-beat in NYC in ...