Monday, April 03, 2023

Inactual observations, or how relevance nailed my ass

 

In one of his notebooks from the 1880s, Nietzsche, who was re-reading his essay on the Use and disadvantage of history for life (the second of his Untimely Meditations – although I like inactual for unzeitgemassige), jotted down one of those lightning bolts “How little reason there is in being as old, and as reasonable, as Goethe!” It is one of those lines that deserves to be haloed with a laughter, something like Johnny Rotten’s guffaw in God Save the Queen. “Is there room in science for laughter?” Nietzsche had asked in The Gay Science – and tacitly, he put himself forward as the answer to that question.

When one grows old – I am putting myself forward as that “one” – and one is as inclined to reason as a cow is to chew its fodder, it is good to remember how unreasonable it is to reason in the first place. It is good to remember that history serves, ultimately, life – and that the nexus between the two has never been satisfactorily resolved by either the mighty – Goethe – or the low – myself. Another note that Nietzsche jotted down as he was making up howlers about Goethe concerned the purpose of the Inactual observations. It was a bait to capture the attention of similar minded readers.

“At that time I was young enough to go fishing with such impatient hopes. Today – after a hundred years, if I am allowed to measure time according to my own scales! – I am always not your old enough to have lost every hope, and every  patience. How strangely it sounds in my ears when a gray old man presses his experience into these words.”

Nietzsche’s inactual observations are the presiding spirit over Georges Didi-Huberman’s giant book, Imaginer Recommencer, which takes in, in typical Didi-Huberman style, an encyclopedic ensemble of history, art and philosophy to make its point: tracing our modernity, or our culture of the modern, back to the Weimar culture of the 1920s, which was Nietzschian for both the left and the right.

The subtitle of Did-Huberman’s book is: ce qui nous souleve, 2. Soulevement is in the air, here in Paris, given the strikes and demonstrations. It is a song in the manif, although the echoes of that song are more melancholic than positive, more 1848 than 1789.   We are rising up, is the atmosphere among the bien-pissant – the pissed off and the disenfranchised. I am one of the pissants, here, and from my perspective, these demonstrations, this crisis, is about time. Human time, which was drained into Capital and recuperated, partially and painfully, by the social democratic initiatives of the twentieth century. Time, which divides into youth and old age, which casts a varied pall over different sectors and employments – for instance, over the garbageman, who is expected to devote more than forty years of his life to his smelly, untouchable job – which as we know, under the new regime of retirement, means no retirement, since death, the end of the garbageman’s time, is the more likely outcome to the new rules.

Which is fine for the rulers, who live in a different time, who reward themselves copiously with the finest pensions the state can offer. Who “work” all the time – at lunch, over a fifty euro meal, in conferences in Switzerland with big name capitalists, and of course at night, with their lovers-assistants, all on the highend dole.

My own dallying with the inactual began, I suppose, in high school, under a different set of parameters: the cry in the seventies was for relevance. Instead of learning fusty poems by Longfellow, we were plunged into, say, Walden 2 – or at least that was the book we read in Humanities class. Or into Atlas Shrugged – that was a book I was assigned and failed to read, the unrelieved one-dimensionality  of Ayn Rand’s imagination repulsing me. I was consciously mostly of how many letters, sentences and black black print each paperback  page bore – which I suppose is the non-reader’s feeling about books in general. They assault the senses, giving nothing to the eyes and making the body feel straitjacketed. Which is why you want to eat when reading a massive paperback tome. To give the tongue some leaway, at least, as the book closes the lid on you.  

So I chose non-relevance, and was quite happy with my choice until the advent of Internet. I dropped out of the inactual with a bang in the 00s, when suddenly social media and the digitalisation of everything enforced relevancy like a motherfucker. Plus, of course, the era of Bush, the Vulcanite Bush, the realization that we were going to be really, really stupid in the 21st century. I was a little witness to the fact that greatness – measured in global effect – can be combined with idiocy to produce catastrophes that will be with us the rest of my life. Everything has been under the shadow of that period, 2001-2009 All the squandered opportunity, the death of the Holocene, the wasting of millions of lives, the neolib glee.

Lately, I’m in an odd place – both angry and suspended in the overwhelmingly relevant and longing for the inactual, for larger projects and maybe even hope.  

Hope. What a word.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

ce qui nous souleve. Since you mention songs, there's Georges Moustaki's Sans la nommer, which indeed includes that phrase. I think you can guess who introduced me to that song. It's in the air again.

I'm also guessing you know that CGT has just selected a women as their secretary general for the first time in the 185 years of their existence. I don't know if you saw her interview on FranceInter. I'm not going to link to it as the two hosts are insufferable Macronnite morons, to be polite. ( They kept calling her the patron of CGT, for example.) I mention as I thought she was excellent in the interview, even quoted Marx! She's from Amie's generation, the one that stood up and stopped the CPE "reform". I think my generation will stand up with them this time.

-Sophie

Roger Gathmann said...

I saw that she was elected and I was happy about that, especially as there have been complaints about the CGT higherup treatment of women. I'm hopeful, but today, with the standdown of the poor ebroueurs, I am a little sad. I've just been writing about how the air of Paris will no longer smell like garbage, but the sweet scent of money forced from the broken bodies of 60 year old garbage collectors. Heppy to sacrifice for the "deficit" and the investment opportunity to make millions in investments that are open to all - although primarily to those who already have millions. But the rest of us can read about them!
Fuckers.

Anonymous said...

I believe the ebroueurs standown is temporary, and they'll be back on strike soon.

-Sophie

Anonymous said...

It seems fitting that we are speaking of eboueurs when a certain piece of crap is summoned to a court in NYC. If the justice system in NYC doesn't know what to do with the shit, maybe the eboueurs can help.

- Sophie

Roger Gathmann said...

I hope the standdown of the garbage collectors is temporary. But there is only so much a strike can do to not disturb the customer, the client. At the same time, the strikers have to eat, have bills to pay. The tearing up of their retirement plans needs to be fronted more forcefully, I think, by the inter-syndicat. A pledge to overturn the reform even if Macron implements it.

Roger Gathmann said...

As for Trump, I am exasperated at the Biden administration's continuation of the chickenshit policies of the Obama administration. I could give a fuck about the payoffs - where is the prosecution for high treason? The Justice Department had all the evidence and decided, for "the good of the country", not to prosecute. That is a decision about as shitty as anything you could find in the garbage heap of American (in)justice - and there are a lot of candidates in that heap.

Anonymous said...

Agree. On both counts.

- Sophie

on Cocteau and Maurice Sachs and the twenties

  « …. the fervor without which youth is hardly worth being lived….” – in this phrase, Maurice Sachs sums up what he felt for Jean Cocteau ...