Back in the 00s, I needed a lot of cheering up.
Coincidentally, Youtube appeared. This expanded the field – of my own musical
appreciation, to say the least.
And it is through Youtube that I discovered Les Rita
Mistouko. When I put a link up to one of their videos, the friend of my blog,
Amie – the late great Amie, whose death was a shock to my system that stayed a
shock – turned me on to other songs, and to some history of the group.
Catherine Ringer and Fred Chichin were the two elements of
that molecule – which was not only music, but dance and spectacle. They fully
embraced the cinematic side of the enterprise. Some of their songs were silly –
especially when matched up to their video – until, upon repeated listening, the
silliness became an initiation to a certain combative aesthetic joy. Prisoners sing for many reasons; one of them
is that the song is not imprisoned. That is combative joy.
Fred Chichin died of cancer. And now Catherine Ringer has
died of cancer.
To the me me me writing this, Catherine Ringer represented,
in a way, a certain French culture that I rather fetishize. It is the culture
of the paysan de Paris – it is a culture of metis, practical jokes, and a tough
view of morality, one that emphasizes respect and freedom as a synthesis rather
than a hostile truce.
Oh Catherine!
This is a song Amie sent me a link to: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUOYXlBEjGI
3 comments:
Combative joy is perfect. Thank you.
- Sophie
Oh Catherine. Olympia, 2024
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5_y0IUf3as
- Sophie
I shouldn’t indulge in another comment and I’ll stop after this one. It is not to address that Les Rita have been part of the soundtrack of my life since I was scuttling about on all fours. Thanks to Amie. And don’t want to indulge in my memories of Les Rita and Amie. I’m doing so because your comment on “combative joy” is so just. As I was thinking of it I heard an echo which I’d like to share with you. You might remember that she was working on “soundtracks”, an idea that was suggested by you. Did she tell you her working title for the work in progress? Soigne ta droite. Which is the title of a Godard film featuring Catherine and Fred. She underlined the combat aspect of the title and that it was a joyous film not least because of Les Rita. And I found the following juxtaposition in her notebook. Hölderlin’s Sophocles epigram and Rita Mitsouko’s Marcia Bailla. The latter in memory of their dancer and choreographer friend Marcia Moretto who had died of cancer at age 36.
Are there communicating vessels beyond death? When I read LI and am reminded of Amie I feel that they exist and strive to be just and joyous.
- Sophie
Post a Comment