Thursday, December 22, 2022

False friends

 

Every student of French or German is familiar with the phrase “false friends.” False friends are those words one comes across that look enough like some English word that the unwise student will assume that they mean the same thing. For instance, the French verb, blesser, which means wound, and the English verb bless, which means to wish something good.

The idea that false friends operate only across language lines, however, strikes me as a limitation on a very useful concept. I think that false friends operate within different subgroups with different jargons within one language. Look at how the word “woke” or the term “cancel culture” has shifted between subgroups.  When you see a “debate” between the right and the left in America, it is often like hearing one group of people using “bless[er]” to mean injure and another group meaning to wish a benediction on. Of course, often – and this is a common rightwing tactic – the use of the term will be intentionally mangled, so that the debate (a puzzlingly idolized idea on the right, ever since the right was all about “debating” the Iraq invasion back in the early 00s, which involved debaters who spoke no Arabic and had the thinnest of notions about what Iraq actually was) is poisoned at the root. This is, of course, one of the diseases to which conversation will always be heir. False friends show up in every sphere. We live in an era that especially relies on false friends to make social media happen, and to create both anger and passivity among the masses. An angry passivity – is this what we want?

2 comments:

Bruce said...

I always feel better when I read your blog. Thank you.

Roger Gathmann said...

Bruce, thanks! My blog isn't read very much anymore and nobody writes comments, like in the old days. Which makes me sad. i plow on anyway. I'm inspired by this street preacher who used to set up in front of the seven eleven on Wiltshire in Santa Monica. I would pass by him when we lived there, and my son Adam was one, and settled comfortably in his stroller. That preacher would be whooping, uttering judgment and in general addressing the streetflow. The streetflow was indifferent. I admired the mission, but I hurried past with Adam, not wanting to be judged. One day he wasn't there. And that was that. I found that guy scarily emblematic. So, here I still am!

Lawrence's Etruscans

  I re-read Women in Love a couple of years ago and thought, I’m out of patience with Lawrence. Then… Then, visiting my in-law in Montpellie...