Saturday, July 01, 2006

shout out to kimberly -- LI loves you!

Sometimes, I pity myself.

Here I am, a poor, miserable scribbler given the chance of a lifetime by the coup of 2000 that thrust upon my life a corrupt, authoritarian government; one as specious in all its cotton pickin’ policies and lubberly justifications as a shell game managed by retards. So I pull out the references, I edit my sentences until they bite hard enough, at least, to break the skin, I make with the withering put downs. I dream of Mandlestam, Solzhenitsyn, or, at least, Karl Kraus.

But yesteryear’s dissidents lived in times that, cruel and genocidal as they were, still retained enough respect for writing to get rid of the inconvenient writer. I, in contrast, live in the sticks and stones age: words will never hurt yahoos who have squandered the little literacy they ever acquired on The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People.

So here I am, about to unsheathe the razor and do myself in – or at least break the plastic on those damn disposable bics and try to get a purchase on the narrow, child safe strip of sharpened alloy – when I get a news flash from Mr. T, our far flung correspondent in NYC. And suddenly, in the darkness, there is a tiniest amount of light, like that shed by an ascending saint in a mannerist painting. Here it is, in its entirety:

Lil' Kim to Be Released From Prison Monday
New York Lawyer
June 30, 2006
By The Associated Press
NEW YORK -- Lil' Kim says she'll be celebrating Independence Day early this year.
The rapper, who was sentenced in September to a year and a day in prison for lying about a shootout outside a hip-hop radio station, is being released Monday, the day before July Fourth.

"I am thrilled to be coming home," Lil' Kim said Thursday in a statement issued by her publicist, Tracy Nguyen. "I thank all my fans for all their letters, as well as my family and friends for all their support throughout the past 10 months."

The entertainer, whose real name is Kimberly Jones, began serving her time at a federal detention center in Philadelphia on Sept. 19. Her lawyer, L. Londell McMillan, noted then that she could be released early for good behavior.

"She has accepted responsibility and handled herself in an exemplary manner," McMillan said Thursday.

The rapper, who will remain under house arrest for 30 days after her release, was convicted of lying to a federal grand jury and in the subsequent trial.

The case stemmed from a gun battle that erupted outside WQHT-FM, known as Hot 97, when Lil' Kim's entourage crossed paths with a rival rap group, Capone-N-Noreaga, whose song "Bang, Bang" contains an insult to her from rival Foxy Brown. One man was hurt in the shootout that followed.

Lil' Kim, who won a Grammy in 2001 for her part in the hit remake of "Lady Marmalade," maintained she hadn't noticed two of her close friends _ who later pleaded guilty to gun charges _ at the scene of the shootout. But jurors at her trial saw radio station security photos that depicted one of them opening a door for her, and witnesses said they saw her at the station with both of them."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I do not know that I will ever grasp the nature of your passion for Lil Kim.

I suppose someone has to love her.

Then again, I waste a good bit of sympathy on Mikhail Khodorkovsky because I think he is pretty. I suppose we have to leave it all to Pascal.

Roger Gathmann said...

Winna, one of my late teens amour fou was for a gal named ... let me call her Tyretta. She reminds me a lot of Li'l Kim. Same bassiness. Same loyalty to, shall we say, the wrong friends. And --- uh, don't laugh -- the same vulnerability that kept me running like her rabbit. Tyretta pushed all of my buttons, which was interesting, since I didn't know at that point that I HAD buttons. I was the braille waitin' for those delicate fingers to make me happen -- to go all Live Journal poetic on you.

Hey, you recently showed some sympathy, I noticed, for Lancelot, the tree climbing knight, so I know that you know the alchemy of the coup de foudre comes out of the most absurd elements. Ever since I saw my first L'il Kim poster, a scratched up thing on a brick wall in New Haven, CT, I was lost.

Anonymous said...

That is a beautiful story.

Thank you very much for the link, by the way. It is more flattering than I can tell!

Roger Gathmann said...

Winna, I can't tell -- are you being sourcastic?

I should have gotten my link up to your site ages ago. I have a list, but I am creakily slow in putting them up. I hate dealing with templates. Such a pain!

Have a happy fourth.

Lovecraft

“If Lovecraft was an odd child,” his biographer L. Sprague de Camp writes, “his mother showed signs of becoming even odder. In fact, she gav...